Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Summer Lovin Read-a-Thon: Look at Me I'm Sandra Dee



“Look At Me, I’m Sandra Dee” Participation Post:
Introduce us to your favorite fictional female – What does she look like? Is there an actress that you think of when you think of the character? Is she tough or timid? You could do a mock interview with your character, or create a bio/resume for her.


Nara
It was honestly really hard to decide who my favourite fictional female is. So many awesome characters out there. Celaena from from Throne of Glass? Annabeth from Percy Jackson? Hazel from The Fault in Our Stars? SO MANY POSSIBILITIES. Well, here's who I ended up choosing:
Sydney from Bloodlines!

What does she look like? Blonde with brown eyes (described as gold by some).
Tough or timid? Well I think she's sort of both. She's incredibly smart and was somewhat timid throughout the Vampire Academy series, but I think when the situation calls for it she can be pretty badass. She also ends up discovering some awesome stuff about herself at the end of Book 1 (don't worry, won't spoil it) which really just added to her general badassery.


Chantelle
Favourite fictional female? Okay that has to be Tris from Divergent. She is so freaking bad ass! I never find her POV boring, or frustrating, or idiotic. She's just awesome. She's not stunning, but her personality and tenacity makes her attractive. She's loyal, brave, very intelligent and a complete bad ass (have I said that already?). As we all probably know, Shailene Woodley has been cast as Tris for the movie of Divergent, and for want of not being whiny, I'm going to roll with it and say that's how I picture Tris.



Challenge 3: Page 99 Test
Hosted by Reviewing Wonderland
Rules:
If you have never done this before, the object of the game is to pick a book you have not yet read, turn to page 99 and read that page. Then you give a synopsis of that page and tell us if, based only on that page, would you want to read this book?

Please remember to give a synopsis ONLY, no spoilers and no plagarism.

So get to it! Read that page and let us know what you think? Did it contain any really good teasers? Want to finish the book to find out what was going on?

Nara
So, right now I'm rereading Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare.
Basically nothing is happening on Page 99- just a fair bit of Clare's descriptive passages of the setting. Main characters Will, Tessa and Jem have just gotten off a train and, to guide them to their next destination is an old man who looks like a sailor.
"Dear God," said Will, putting his hand over his heart in a theatrical gesture. "It's the Ancient Mariner who stoppeth one of three."
"Ah'm 'ere at t'bequest of Aloysius Starkweather. Art t'lads he wants or not? Ah've not got all night to stand about."
"Important appointment with an albatross?" Will inquired. "Don't let us keep you."
I think I would have read the book from just this page. We get a glimpse of Will's snarky humour and the writing is of pretty good quality.

Chantelle
I've decided to choose Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter. I bought it based off good recommendations (and it was on sale) but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. After the initial confusion of having 2 schools and 3 characters mentioned  that I knew absolutely nothing about, I actually really enjoyed pg 99. So basically on pg 99, there's a bit of sexual tension between Alice and Cole (the bad boy mentioned in the blurb), and then Alice unloads on her friend Kat who gives her some advice. Alice has a really witty voice, and despite the mention of a 'manimal' (what the heck?!) the books seems really promising, with a great love interest to boot. I would definitely consider moving this one up my TBR list after this!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read Divergent yet but with all the hype about it, all the good things I've heard, and the fact that the main girl is pretty kickass, I think it would be right up my alley. Tris sounds awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chantelle I love your choice of fave fictional character, I really like Tris too :D

    Nara I love that quote from Clockwork Princess, I'd definitely read from that passage alone ;)

    My Day 3 Summer Lovin Read-a-thon"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think of Hazel as a choice -- but she is definetly one of my favorites too.My Page 99

    My Day 3 Read-A-Thon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your post on your favorite female character. I will have to read Divergent and get to know Tris before the movie comes out. I will have to add these two books to my Good Reads read list.:)

    ReplyDelete