Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Sci-Fi Month: First Lines Quiz


In Looking for the Panacea tradition, time for a little quiz! This is going to be a first line quiz; the rules are simple. I give you a first line from a YA Sci-Fi novel, and you must guess what book it's from! Answers are hidden under a spoiler tag, so you can check your answers yourself. Let me know how you go in comments!

All of the books have been mentioned in on of the collaboration posts I did with Kayla @ The Thousand Lives! Check them out Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 if you need help.

I've also included some cover hints below, but those are quite obvious, so I'd try complete the quiz without using them first!


1. When I wake up the other side of the bed is cold.

2. I've been locked up for 264 days.

3. The screw through <name redacted>'s ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.

4. There will be no awakening.

5. I stare at the drain in the centre of the concrete floor.

6. Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.

7. My mother thinks I'm dead.

8. Newborn #485GA18M died on June 30, 2076, at 6:07 in the morning.

9. Nothing about this room is real.

10. I've seen <name redacted> bleed.

Here are some cover hints, if you need them. They're pretty obvious, so try do the quiz without looking first!



Click me to read answers

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
2. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
3. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
4. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
5. All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
6. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (I guess this is YA/A crossover, but meh)
7. Legend by Marie Lu
8. Partials by Dan Wells
9. These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
10. Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson (you didn't think I'd skip a quiz without putting in a Sanderson, did you? haha).


So, how did you go? Have any first lines for me to guess?