Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Review: Remembrance by Meg Cabot

Title: Remembrance (Mediator #7)
Author: Meg Cabot
Genre: Adult, Paranormal Fantasy
Source: William Morrow via Edelweiss
Goodreads





In REMEMBRANCE, the seventh installment of the Mediator series, all Susannah Simon wants is to make a good impression at her first job since graduating from college (and becoming engaged to Dr. Jesse de Silva).

But when she stumbles across an ancient murder, old ghosts—and ex-boyfriends—aren’t all that come back to haunt her.

REMEMBRANCE will be the first ever adult installment of the Mediator, published by William Morrow, the adult division of HarperCollins, the company that brought you the YA books in the series.
Review by Nara

I have to admit, this was not as good as I expected it to be. I mean, it was definitely still pretty good, but it wasn't at the level that I expected from my childhood memories of The Mediator- which is one of my favourite series from Cabot. I almost feel like I just bumped up my star rating for the book because of an odd sense of loyalty to the Mediator series. That being said, Remembrance still had many of the elements that makes this series a fantastic one.

One of the things that brought the book down a little (because it was so damn annoying) was how old-fashioned Jesse's views were. I mean, I guess I can't really blame the character for feeling that way since he was born so long ago, but it still irritated me quite a bit every time he was being "chivalrous" and telling Suze to stay out of the way and things. Paul was also seriously annoying- I honestly didn't recall him being quite the level of douche he is in this book in the YA series. Maybe because this is an adult book, Cabot felt like she had to bring up how douchey the villain was.

That being said, there was a lot of great action and "mediating". There's also the classic Suze Simon snark. There are a heck of a lot of swoons from interactions between Suze and Jesse (who finally seem to be getting the kind of relationship they deserved). One thing I kind of wish there was more of was Doc; he's so awesome.

I feel like you could read Remembrance without having read the others in the series, but I also feel like you wouldn't get the same level of enjoyment as someone who has read the rest and knows all the background information. I have to admit, this book was a bit of a disappointment, but it was also somewhat satisfying seeing the future of the characters that I'd thought had been put aside forever.

Really liked it
Ratings
Overall: 7/10
Plot: 3.5/5
Romance: 3.5/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 2.5/5